Sunday, March 21, 2010

Koh Phi Phi - Thailand!

Koh Phi Phi was much busier and therefore more expensive then Railay Beach. We were lucky to get the last room at this place called R.S. Guesthouse which was 700Baht/night but much smaller then the room we had in Railay.

In Thailand the shower is not in an enclosure. It's just attached to the wall so if the bathroom is tiny, like this one was, everything, including the toilet, gets soaked...


On one of our walks around we saw some people getting a fish foot spa. The fish are supposed to help with your circulation and leave your skin soft and make your feet look 10 years younger but Nicole has done it before and she said the only difference was that her feet smelled like fish afterwards so we opted out.

There's a ton of stay cat's and dog's all over and they are very cute and friendly. Just look at this little guy who came to keep us company on the beach one night. He even followed us most of the way home!

This cat sat on my lap the whole time I ate breakfast. He wasn't even interested in my food, just wanted to cuddle. So cute!


Koh Phi Phi is also very beautiful but because it's so busy the main beach is very littered with rubbish and beer cans so we scouted around and found a few other nicer and less inhabited beaches.


This is a view from the pier side where all the boats come in. Obviously.



This boat looked like it had been beached for years but an hour after I took the pic some fishermen got on it and floated away.


Thomas and Nicole had already been on Koh Phi Phi for a day before we got there so they scouted out a cool tour where we got to see Maya Beach (from the movie The Beach), go snorkeling in a quiet lagoon, and see the sunset on the way back. Here I am on The Beach beach. Unfortunately Leonardo DiCaprio was nowhere to be found.





When we went swimming in the lagoon it was so quiet and the limestone was so big, making me feel so small. The water was so clear and turquoise. Definitely one of those "wow" moments in travelling.



The sunset was pretty awesome too. I guess.


The bars on the beach in Koh Phi Phi are fun for a few days but that's about it. They all play the same techno/dance music and are packed with drunk people by 10pm. One night Thomas suggested we get some Sheesha. I had never done it before. We tried apple. It was yummy. If you don't know what it is, you can read more about it here.


Remember what I said about buckets? We didn't really follow that advice about exercising caution that night.

So...not only do they have fire shows from people who have been practicing for years, but at about 11pm, when most people are at least tipsy, they bring out various things which they set on fire for the audience to play with.

Fire jump rope anyone?


No? How about fire limbo then?



Still not your thing? Well then how about jumping through a ring of fire? I must say that I did not try any of these activities, despite having a definite urge to jump through the hoop at one point, because one thing I've noticed since we're been her is that one in about every ten people has some sort of injury. Bandages, bruises, crutches, you name it. Thailand might be fun and cheap and beautiful. But safe it is not (more about that in the next post about Koh Lanta as well). And for some perhaps not so smart decision on my part, for the first time on my travels decided to opt out of travel insurance before I came here. I guess it's cause I only used it once in Australia for a short visit to the doctor and never needed it in NZ plus the fact that my funds are running low at this point but geez, of all the places to opt out! Anyway, so far so good. Knock on wood!


Just thought I would throw in another pick of some amazing food. I don't think I have once not finished a meal here. I've also lost a few pounds in the last 3 weeks since the food here is more healthy, I don't eat as much because of the heat, and the portion sizes are much smaller.

Not so sure how I feel about putting "kitchen sauce" on my dinner though!


Even though Thailand is a dangerous place, you really only have yourself to blame if you get hurt. I mean, the Thais have warned you against being a human buo...


driving your boat too fast...


and drinking too much alcohol...



After Amelia and I had had enough of the beach bars we strolled along the pier side of the water to another bar where they were playing some hip hop yay! About 15mins after we arrived this huge group of Asians (I think they were from China) came into the bar and basically took it over. They were quite intoxicated and hilarious. They immediately started dancing like maniacs and got the whole bar to join in, including Amelia and I.

They were pretty seriously adorable and totally made our night.

I can never resist a man who wears his fish swim shorts to the bar!


Next stop: Koh Lanta!

1 comment:

Ashley Carter said...

That 'Alcohol Impairs Judgment' sign makes me laugh, holy.