Monday, December 15, 2008

X-Mas in August!?

Since my last post I have moved into the place I am subletting until January 5th and let me tell you...it is a dream come true having my own space again. I actually felt kind of lonely the first week because my 2 flatmates work during the day and so I had the whole place to myself. The apartment is in Newtown which is a really funky, queer, hippie area. When you get on he train downtown Sydney, it's easy to spot who is most likely headed to Newtown. Usually anyone with brightly coloured hair, tats or dreads is a safe bet. The neighbourhoood is full of used bookstores, coffee shops and used clothing stores. I feel pretty at home here.

Here is a pic of the place standing from the hallway looking into the living room. The truck on the right is a fish tank! Eric the goldfish lives there. He's a pretty chill flatmate.

Here is the kitchen, looking out into the magical courtyard...


and here is the view from the magical courtyard looking into the living room. I would show you my room but it's kind of messy right now.

On Sunday night Tom, our friend from Finland named Henna and myself went to Darling Harbour to sing X-Mas carols and it was a very surreal experience. I can't really describe how much it DOESN'T feel like Christmas here. It's as if they've made a huge mistake and are celebrating X-Mas in August. For instance, while we were singing carols, THIS is what was going on just to the left of us...


Here is a pic of the people who were leading the carols...


Here is the tree that we were gathered around. It looked quite beautiful once it was dark out and you could see all the lights...



and here is Tom and Henna, trying to grasp the fact that it is indeed December, even though it's 30 degrees outside. What???


Random facts:
I have started using Aussie lingo and pronouncing things differently so that people can understand me. i.e...
Melbourne = Melbin'
Butter (we pronounce with d's instead of t's like "budder") = Butta
Water (wader) = Wah-ta
Roommate = Flatmate
I have started saying "reckon" as in "what do you reckon?" and "bothered" as in "are you bothered" (meaning do you care) Although these last 2 probably come more from hannging out with Tom who is English more than from Australian lingo.
Also, I have a job. Well, kind of. They aren't giving me enough hours right now. More on that in my next update.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I LOVE that you're picking up the Aussie lingo, don't forget to shorten everything (i.e. going to visit the "rellos" in "Tassie")