Sunday, December 7, 2008

Things to do before I die: Camel Racing: Check!

Last night Tom and I went to see camel races. Camel racing in Australia is not a serious sport. You can't bet on it (we tried!) and so you can put your name into a draw to actually race on a camel and we both got picked! I have never riden a camel before (barely even a horse) and certainly have never raced on one. Those suckers can really run! I have some sports related injuries today as a result (bruises). My camel came in 4th and Tom's came in dead last.

Here I am on the camel trying not to fall off...

Here I am just after the race...


and here is the other people I raced against...


Here's Tom on his camel...






and here's him looking annoyed that his camel came in last (did I mention he's a bit competitive?)




and here is a video that Tom took of me on my camel just before the race started. My camel is the one with the green on.





When my camel was being led to the starting line it suddely took off running towards the finish line for no apparent reason. I just assumed that the race had started but as you can see in this blurry video, the guy who was leading my camel came running down the raceway to get me and bring me back to the starting line. I'm pretty excited that I can cross off "camel racing" on my "to do before I die list".



P.S. If anyone wants to send me mail or presents or yourself in a suitcase over X-Mas, I will be at 6 Prospect Street, Newtown, NSW, Australia, 2042 until January 12th or so.

xox

1 comment:

Tiina said...

OMG, what? That is crazy.

P.S. Every time I look at your blog, I laugh at the expression on that jack-o-lantern's face. He's like, "Whoaoooaooaoooo! That's a big back pack!"