Sunday, November 30, 2008

Watson's Bay, Whale Watching, and the most Wonderful meal ever!

Last week my cousin (well actually he's my second cousin once removed but for the sake of making things less complicated, I am just going to say cousin) Steve and I went to Watson's Bay.



It's where the army base is set up and so there was a whole bunch of old army stuff there like cannon's... and look-out points...
and underground tunnels which are now walled off so they are basically just stairs that lead to brick walls which is kind of creepy...

There were also a lot of very beautiful look out points there...




Then a few days later we went Whale watching. I have been Whale watching once before in Halifax when I was visiting my Brother but we didn't see any Whales. So basically I spent $40 to ride around on a ferry boat for a few hours. Very disappointing. This time was much better though. The boat ride in and of itself was almost worth the money. It felt like we were on a roller coaster. It was a small boat and the sea was kind of rough that day so it was a very bumpy ride. The only part I didn't like was when we went up really high on a wave and then came crashing down. I am grateful that I read the brochure before we left and took a motion sickness pill half an hour before departing.

We saw a Mother and her baby and they were "breaching" (jumping out of the water) for quite a while. It was hard to take pics because the boat was rocking back and forth the whole time and I didn't want to spend the whole time watching the whales through my camera. Plus the fact that they were only visible for about 2 seconds when they jumped out of the water so a lot of my pics are of splashes. Here are a couple that turned out though.




I also took a few videos but with this internet connection it would take hours to upload. Maybe when I move to my new place (tomorrow:) if the connection is better I can try and upload them there.
On Thursday night I met a couple of Canadian girls from Aylmer and London Ontario (where most of my family lives. Small world!) named Elaine and Justina. Elaine somehow managed to convince this English guy named Paul (who I call "running man" because he is always going for runs on his days off) to make a whole bunch of us dinner. He used to be a chef and he is always making the best meals for himself. He made us a seafood pasta with salmon, trout, shrimp, veggies, cream sauce and fresh parmesan. Plus he made garlic bread and salad. It was the best meal I have had since coming to Australia. Here we all are about to enjoy his masterpiece. On the left is Elaine, then Pierre ("Frenchy"), then there's the other Paul (also from England but not the one who cooked us dinner whom I call "funny man"), then another guy from England (I forget his name), then me, then a girl from Czech Republic, then Justina and finally the Paul who made the dinner right in front.

Here's what it looked like...yum!


It was a good week. My goal this week is to find a job. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Tiina said...

I'm glad you saw whales! Then you ate all their friends in a delicious looking pasta.

Kara said...

ha ha, you went to Australia to hang out with people from Aylmer!
Weird....
Love your updates!!!